[Artemisia] Gossip

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Nov 28 23:03:41 CST 2005

Rowena, I hope you don't mind me sneaking into the conversational flow here.
;o) I just got my internet connection back (something about a cut cable...),
so I'm playing catch-up.
I second HE Gefjon's advice on your question, and hope you get it resolved
to your satisfaction.
I'd like to address something that you brushed against a couple of times,
though.  (maire puts on her Peer hat, here).  Keeping in mind, of course,
that I'm speaking only of my own experiences and observations....
Peers (chiv, laurels, pels) all choose students and associates for a wide
variety of reasons--as wide a variety, nearly, as there are peers and
associates.  It is by *no* means a given that an association with a peer is
going to get someone their own peerage.  At least not in this kingdom!  Some
of us manage to fumble along without official assistance, as did I, pretty
much, and others have the opportunity to learn from a peer in a more formal
relationship.  Some students/associates progress swiftly, some progress to a
point and then stop, and still others never live up to their potential.
As a peer, I'd certainly want to hear about my student's progress, or about
things that might be hindering her progress.  I haven't been in on a
candidate discussion yet, I don't think (and I've been doing this for a
while now), in which the candidate's character didn't come up as a quality
for observation in some fashion.
--Maire (OL, OP, and all that alphabet stuph)