[Artemisia] Comments regarding latest BoD announcment

Morgan Wolf wolf912 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 29 01:18:05 CST 2006

If I may backtrack on this a bit (not changing my post, just going back in
the posts so far), can anyone explain to me how the Society Seneschal, who
lives (if memory serves) in California, can take "immediate action"
regarding someone (JUST AN EXAMPLE) who is providing alcohol to minors at an
event in Artemisia?  Unless the Society Seneschal is volunteering to be on
24/7 call for problems from anywhere, and pay the collect call fees from the
camp pay phone because cell phones don't have signal there, there is no more
"rapid response" in this than there is in the current system- the local
Seneschal, event Steward, Crown, or (in a pinch) nearest Knight tells the
problem person to hit the bricks, and addresses it formally ASAP.  We have
site security at big events partially for this reason, and at least in
Artemisia we have no shortage of individuals who will step up and say "the
event steward said you have to leave, do so, now."  I can't see that the
rest of the Known World is lacking similar folks.  Bear in mind that our
functions are, in essence, "members only" functions, in places we rent.  We
have the right to tell people to go away, and call on whatever authority is
necessary to back it up.

And dear Lady Ealusaid, if someone told you "we have this wonderful new
invention, it will cut travel time by 3/4, but it will kill 50,000 people
every year" would you think it was wonderful, or that the person was insane?

Let us perhaps agree that analogies do not fit this situation, and address
it in terms that will actually apply.  Yes, an accused child molester was at
events in the Middle Kingdom, an accused rapist was at events in the East
hitting on women, and these are the things that *this* proposal is designed
to address.  I also know for a fact that an accused child abuser and rapist
attends events in Artemisia regularly, and that none of those accusations
has resulted in even one police questioning.  So, is it better to follow the
path of "innocent until proven guilty, but keep an eye on him", which was
what happened here, or "get rid of him until he proves his innocence", which
is what I see in this proposal.

Morgan Blaidd Du
Just me, no one else