[Artemisia] Membership Questions

Caointiarn caointiarn1 at bresnan.net
Sat Oct 28 11:48:31 CDT 2006

1)  Are you a paid member of the Society?
 2) If so, what prompted you to pay for a membership?
3) If not, what prompts you not to pay for a membership?
4) What are your feelings about paid membership being required to
participate in certain activities?
5) What are your feelings about requiring membership for all participation
in the Society (often referred to as "pay to play")?
Thanks for your time,
Thea

Hello!
 I have been a paid member since just before my first Estrella {#8} I paid
because I was told I needed it { okay, I've since learned that I didn't, but
no harm/no foul} I believe that  being defined as a member of  *anything*
you do the basics.  In our case, 1) wear an attempt at pre-17th century
clothing, 2)conduct yourself as a person of noble birth,{and my #3)  commit
to the membership  -- which is paying yearly dues.   Big word here:
COMMITMENT.  If  one is not willing to do that small step of paying dues,
can we trust their commitment to our Society?   Home owners are more
committed to a neighborhood than renters.  People take marriage more
seriously than a "shack-up" relationship.   How many of our "just here for
the party" people are members?

I know  people who are non-members who attend a handful of events.  They
enjoy the game, but feel a membership does them no good.  They don't have a
problem paying for the NMS, because they don't feel a commitment at this
time.  I'm okay with that.  Being a non-member means you are a guest, and
guests are welcome!  Because this is where our "next generation" of
membership comes from.  But guests don't get to vote, don't have a voice in
deciding policy, and don't receive awards.  Being honorable hosts, we do
give public "thank you's"  for their efforts and skills  they may
contribute, but that's all.  They haven't made that basic commitment which
is less than the cost of attending Uprising.

A Servant of Artemisia,
Maistreas Caointiarn