[Artemisia] Membership Questions

Michael the Loud hanhebin at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 11:59:57 CDT 2006

> 1)  Are you a paid member of the Society?

If you look at the 'YES' or 'no' answer you are
typically going to get very similar responses.
Doesn't matter the organization as I'm a member of a
few USBC, NAA and the SCA to name a few the reasons
you hear for and against membership are typically the
same.

I'm never really interested in the 'YES' answer
because you are typically going to hear positive
replies.  I'm more interested in the 'no' response
because what you typically hear the excuse and not the
reason.

Most of the reasons why people don't become members or
refuse to do so are problems that are easily solved.
A good example is a friend of mine who refuses to join
the USBC (bowling) and the reason why he refuses to
join isn't real reason.  Basically it all comes down
to something simple because a league secratary didn't
get him his award.

The 'no' problem is very easily solved if you catch
those problems early enough before they fester.  In
bowling it's easy to solve as I can did into my
bowling bag and dig out an out one of my old awards as
I have too many (gee - I haven't gotten at least 6
awards in the past year.)

Basically, 'no' comes down to prioritization.  Figure
out what the reason and it's quite easy to turn a 'no'
into an even bigger 'YES.'  Usually it comes down to
some kind of individual recognition (not talking about
awards) and it doesn't matter whether you are talking
the SCA, bowling or even something like church.  It's
all pretty much the same, "Human Nature."

Michael