[Artemisia] A New Debate - Pay to Play

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Tue Oct 31 11:40:17 CST 2006

Hi Conrad,

I guess I'm in the middle.  I think one should have to be a paid member to
hold any office, fight at any event, compete, vote, and receive awards.
However I think non-members should be able to attend and play up to that
point.  I think fighters should be able to fight at *practices* without
being a member, by signing a waiver.  This is necessary in order to
encourage new members, and allow them the chance to experience the SCA.
It's also necessary for those times when a member may not be in a position
to renew his/her membership for a period of time.

Any organization has expenses.  I think it is only fair to expect anyone who
plays more than superficially to share in paying for the organization.  They
get the enjoyment - they share the cost.  For those who say they don't agree
with certain policies of the organization, then get involved and work to
change what you don't like.  I doubt there are many who agree with
*everything* in the SCA, but we compromise for the good of the whole.

Just my 25c...
Gefjon