[Artemisia] Identifying/protecting our kids one way or another

Kim Rule kimrule at cableone.net
Tue Apr 24 20:32:37 CDT 2007

I've been watching this and just HAD to throw my two cents in.  I too
raised a child in the SCA.  (He's a teenager now, "too cool" for the
SCA!)  But back in "the day" I would bring him to events.  His first
event was at the age of 15 months.  He was active and silly at this
baronial event at a park.  I distinctly remember a young man helping me
keep my busy son from running off.  I believe his name was m'lord
Armand!

Kyle learned about history.  He learned courtly manners, and how to
swing a boffer.  As he spent years as a child in the society, he had
many mentors...all carefully watched by me.  I had to take primary
responsibility for my son.  I had to help with the other smalls.  The
mothers of other smalls helped watch over my son.  Arnhold was small
enough at that time that everyone knew who Kyle belonged to.  If he was
getting into trouble and my eyes were averted, they knew who to bring
him back to.  Kyle also knew that they knew...so he usually stayed out
of trouble...

It takes a village.  I knew that Kyle was safe.  If Kyle was out on his
own, I knew that at least 2 other adults would be observing his
doings...it was comforting.

Perhaps I was naïve to think that all eyes were on my son.  Perhaps I
should have kept him closer to me.  If I had it to do over again, then
yes, I would want to know that those people who were in charge of
children's activities had their backgrounds searched.  But, we didn't
have anyone in charge of children's activities...we didn't have enough
kids!   We were small enough, we seemed to know each other, and that was
what it took.  I didn't take Kyle to camping events until he was about
6.  Raptor war was small still, and I made sure to leave Kyle with a
trusted adult while I did equestrian stuff.

I guess the point is that we have grown large enough to become worried
about our kids.  People we don't know are showing up more and more to
events.  There are so many more children there...that we could become a
magnet for predators.  It is better to be careful than sorry.

Una