[Artemisia] Desserts at Coronation

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Wed Aug 29 20:58:28 CDT 2007

Yes there is.  I have recipes for it.  It involves multiple layers of chocolate ganache, and handmade cake, and varieties of chocolate....It's from the same cookbook as a special kind of chocolate chip cookie I'll make on occasion, the recipe for which uses 5 (count 'em--5!) different kinds of chocolate.
It wouldn't be something I'd choose to serve at an SCA function, though.  Too bluidy expensive.  And, when I'm cooking feast, I'm an authenticity geek by choice.
I've had chocolate cheesecake...<shrugs>...Not that impressive.  When it comes to good cheesecake (period recipe or not), I find myself to be quite the purist.  I don't want no goo, slop, dripple, or extravagance of extra ingredients to come between me and the pure richness of a true, well-made Cheesecake T.  I'll eat it made with vanilla, although I prefer lemon zest, and please, please, please, not so much sugar! It's almost vanishingly rare to find cheesecake these days that isn't waaaaay over sweet!
It is, by the way, quite possible to make one that is relatively low-cal.  (since someone mentioned it this morning).  I've done it using low-fat cream cheese, and yogurt cheese (instead of sour cream).  You could even mess with the sugar amounts, some.  Dunno how well they'd work out if you modified the eggs, though (say, using egg whites instead of whole eggs), as it's not something I've tried.
--Maire
p.s.  Tangle, in an informal setting, I could be persuaded to bring AnTiran Duchess-Seducing Double-Chocolate Brownies <g>....Someone else would have to drink the scotch for me though <ick.ick.ick....vile stuff>