[Artemisia] Honoring lost loved ones

Rebecca Mikkelsen mikkelsen_rebecca at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 09:07:50 CDT 2007

Morgan wrote:
>As I sat here reading of the loss of another friend, and the things done in
>other kingdoms to honor their fallen, I began to think "that's nice, but is
>it
>really us?"  I mean, the riderless horse is cool and all, but does it
>really fit
>*our* fallen?

>I propose that we, as a Kingdom, are a bit different.  Certainly our
>warriors
>are just as fierce, our artisans are just as skilled, our Crowns just as
>marvelous as any of the Knowne World, but we have that one thing that makes
>us.
>Artemisia- our sense of playfulness.  We named our Kingdom after sagebrush,
>for
>pete's sake!  Our's is a kingdom much given to sitting around a campfire
>with
>friends, enjoying a tankard of whatever we like to drink, telling stories,
>singing songs, druming and dancing, and I think that this is what makes us
>so
>special.

>I propose further that we honor that difference as we honor our fallen
>friends. If the event staff at Uprising, the biggest/most attended event in
>our Kingdom,
>will allow, I invite those who have lost a loved one to join me at my fire
>Saturday night, to place an empty wooden tankard bearing the fallen's name
>into
>the fire in memoriam.  If the event staff/Crown prefer to use a different
>fire,
>I fully support their decision and will join the memorial there, if this
>humble
>proposal is accepted.  I further propose that we consider doing this each
>year.

This is not the way I would want our *Kingdom* to honor our fallen loved
ones.  "sitting around a campfire . . . enjoying a tankard" is not what
makes our Kingdom "so special".  A wooden tankard in the fire is appropriate
for individuals to do, but not as a Kingdom.

Our Kingdom has created some incredibly impressive and moving ceremonies in
the past.  I'm sure we can come up with something equally impressive to
honor our loved ones.

Rebecca