[Artemisia] In Praise of Play

Bruce Padget bapadget at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 13:24:44 CDT 2007

Lord Godwin writes:

>Work needs to be done, to create a framework within which to play.
 Those folks
>doing the work of creating the framework, need to be cycled out so they
 can play.
>That's why most warrants/officer positions, are for two years. It's up
 to the
>individual to make sure their hand only has two years worth of helium
 stored in
>it, at any given time. People need time to just play also, to enjoy
 those
>arts/activites that drew them into the SCA in the first place.

Fair enough -- so whom do we cycle them with?  Let's say 1 in 4 new recruits have the desire and ability to fill required offices.  (I'm pulling that number out of my navel, but the principle applies, whatever the number may be.)  So we have to recruit four people per office every two years -- and it's the play that recruits.  Maybe I'm too optimistic, and it's only 1 in 10.  So we need enough play to attract 10 people per office every two years.  Whenever you're looking at a slate of burnt-out officers, remind them that play is where they will find their replacements, as well as their own renewal of purpose.

>The people who
 are working get burnt out, because nobody steps up to relieve them, so they
 can play.

Here I must disagree.  My experience is that many burn-out cases burn themselves out.  They insist on doing work beyond what is needed, and/or insist that no one else can do the job they are doing.

Regards,
Niccolo
bapadget at yahoo.com