[Artemisia] Uprising Projects - Ovens

Jackman-Brink, Julia Julia.Jackman-Brink at mso.umt.edu
Mon Jan 14 09:51:50 CST 2008

He he he...Great minds think alike....Ovens are actually already in
progress. Alan and I talked about it several times last year and meant
to have at least one up for last Uprising, but we got way too busy. (Not
to mention I got sucked into the bloomery project which is a whole
different story.) I guess I'll put a note out when the building plans
actually come to fruition. More hands make less work! :)

The last semi-organized plan was to build two large ovens up at the edge
of the grove area between the archery range and the main camping. (ie on
the way to things, but not in the way...) As these will be more or less
permanent structures, there is ground work that has to be done to make
stable bases for them. (ie rock hauling and sand movement...both of
which there is a lot of locally. Lucky that.) The ovens would then be
built on the base from there. Artemisian weather being what it is, even
a brick and mortar structure is going to get hammered from the wet and
freezing, but we can actually cover them when not in use and that way
there should only need to be minor exterior repairs from year to year.

My original game plan was to get with Alan do the base build and
platform work a couple of weeks before Uprising and fire at Uprising so
we could use them.  As it is I have plans to re-scout the Estrella ovens
when we are down there in a couple of weeks. I talked with the builders
last year and got lots of great info. Theirs are designed to be
temporary due to the nature of the site, but are still brick core with a
mud/clay exterior. There are a ton of brand new books on the subject
too. It a trendy thing these days.

Come talk to me and Alan! The more the merrier! Or is that tastier?....

Juliana