[Artemisia] Grand Council discussions

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 13:22:19 CST 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Dame Theodora <damethea at inbox.com>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 7:45:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Artemisia] Grand Council discussions

Greetings, all.
Something to keep in mind here -
Not all Kingdoms require memberships to be authorized as a fighter or to receive awards.  The fact that we do in Artemisia is *not* the norm Society-wide.  Do you feel that it works here?

This topic is looking at the Society wide issue of memberships.  "Leave things the way they are" is certainly an option, but so are recommendations for change.

Well then, my response to the question is simple- everyone who has some consideration of being covered by the Society's liability insurance, specifically the officers at all levels including royalty; the fighters, including armored, rapier, combat archers, target archers,  seige combat; and all support staff such as marshals, field heralds, and water-bearers, but exluding youth combat, should be required to be paid members of either sustaining or family status.

To me this is simple logic- who is responsible for the damages when Vidar accidentally puts his greatsword through the window at the indoor fighting site (NOTE- JUST AN EXAMPLE, DIDN'T REALLY HAPPEN); Vidar, or the marshal who didn't stop him in time, or the marshal/seneschal who chose the indoor fighting site, or the King who told Vidar to practice more with his greatsword?  In modern America, any one of those listed, and pretty much EVERYONE else present, could be sued for the damages by the site owners, taking care of things like this is why we have the liability insurance as a fall-back
PLEASE NOTE- I am NOT encouraging groups to make claims on the insurance if/when they damage property in the course of SCA activities, I personally think if it happened at your group function then your group's exchequer should write the check to cover it, period, but this IS the reason that we have the liability insurance.  If you don't believe me, go read it.

Morgan