[Artemisia] "Your" significant events

Allen Hall dukealan at q.com
Wed Nov 26 02:57:44 CST 2008

Too quiet again here, we can't have that!  A new thread to make you think, and maybe research a bit.

In our real lives there are significant events that happen (generally negative), that you remember forever, where you were, what was going on, etc.  For example, when JFK was shot, and most recently 9/11/2001.

So what would be "your" significant events in your period?  Let's go for the top three, but five is ok if you're getting into it.  Let's hold it at five, that way you may have to reflect harder to make a choice.  Preface it with "your" life span, so we have a frame of reference.  So, since I came up with this goofy idea (yes Kelwyn, the goofy way is the true way), I'll start.

Live span 1353-1423.

1.  Death of Edward of Woodstock, aka Prince of Wales in 1376.  The heir to the throne passes through the veil, leaving a child as presumptive heir.  A great Prince, and a great Knight passes from our sight.

2.  Death of Edward III, 1377.  Hard on the heels of his son's death, the King passes, leaving Richard II as a child King.

3.  The Peasant Revolt, 1382.  For a member of the gentry such a thing was unthinkable, leaving a questionable future with a lack of stability.  How could such a thing happen?

4.  Henry IV takes the throne by force, beginning the Lancastrian age.  Taking the historical line of descent from time immortal and cutting it by the sword for his own gain!  Certainly Richard II had his faults, but he was an annointed King!  How will the Almightly look upon a Realm that has cast aside one annointed by the Church?  How can such a thing happen?

5.  Some dignity has been restored to England with Henry V's victory at Agincourt in 1415.  While still a Lancastrian, at least Henry has brought some brightness into an otherwise dingy war with France.

OK, have fun!  Looking forward to reading "your" significant events!

Alan