[Artemisia] Word for scribes from the Crown and the Royal Heirs

rayzentz at aim.com rayzentz at aim.com
Tue Nov 17 16:48:21 CST 2009

 My two cents worth on this, and really, it's only two cents worth... I hadn't said anything earlier, because I am still a relative newbie, and thought I was alone in this opinion. But, if there are two of us there are more...

First of all, two points...

1) Their Majesties are free to express their preferences. If they wish to commission scrolls done a certain way, well, fine. They will probably find fewer individuals willing to prepare scrolls, but that becomes the problem for their Majesties, and dealing with future repercussions, the problem of future Royalty. I would hope that TRMs have spent time thinking about these possible repercussions.

2) The populace is free to accept these preferences, or ignore them. This is, after all, a pretend kingdom. If someone wants to play a game a certain way, others get to decide if they are going to play that way. Nobody can make you play a certain way. If you are not prepared to make scrolls done exactly the way TRMs desire, don't volunteer to produce scrolls.

As far as removing blanks from the scroll cases, I would not recommend doing that, or returning the blanks to those who prepared them, offering up their efforts, and time. I personally would find that insulting, and would never again submit a scroll. If you don't want to use the blanks, because of Royal preference, well, fine. Leave them in the case until a Royal is born that is not as... ah heck, there is no better word... picky (I make no apology for my lack of political correctness).

However, I specifically agree on this point with HL deHolloway. Telling someone that it has to be done a certain way stifles the creative process, and the learning curve. If one does not have the specialized equipment required to do a scroll in just the certain way required, one won't learn how to do scrolls at all.

Or, put another way, If one spends time and effort creating a thing of beauty, and then finds that thing rejected, because some aspect of that thing is deemed insufficient, one of two things will occur.

1) That person will quit attempting to make those things of beauty... or
2) The person will go somewhere else

Neither direction, in my opinion, is where we really want to be heading.

Of course, we already know what my opinion is worth. It is, however, what it is.

Lord Padruig McTavish
Bard of Arrows' Flight

Dr. Raymond Zentz

It is better to die a free man, than to live, a slave.