[Artemisia] More scroll discussion

Elaine carynvnk at comcast.net
Wed Nov 18 22:44:11 CST 2009

Greetings, everyone:

To answer a question, the makers of the removed scrolls have been contacted
privately. Most of these were not the work of beginning scribes.

I wish to second something Their Majesties have said: They as the Crown, and
I as Their servant and as a Laurel, have every desire to support those who
are learning and practicing the scribal arts. I have lost count of the
classes I have taught (and except in rare cases have not charged for.) I
know others have done the same.

The very first effort of a new scribe was presented in court recently. She
immediately sent me a photo and asked me for feedback, which I was very
happy to provide (she did a great job.)

The scribes of the Kingdom are Her most generous artists. The reason the
scroll is free to the recipient is that the scribe provided the materials,
the work and the skill at his or her own expense. A scroll is a gift given
to the award recipient by the scribe. Having one's name announced in court
as the creator of such a work is an honor. It is also a recognition that is
needed and deserved. Thanks from the recipient are even better, but much
more rarely received.

But as I support the scribes, I must also support the Crown, the standards
of my Order, and the educational goals of the Society. And these standards
and goals require me to encourage those who aspire to medieval skills,
techniques, and materials in whatever way is possible to me.

I will take this opportunity to once again say Thank You to those who have
created scrolls to be presented in Their Majesties' courts, and to those who
continue to be willing to do so.

Best regards to all
Duchess Caryn von Katzenberg, OL, OP
Royal Scribe and Scroll Coordinator to Their Majesties Sean and Nisa
Who made her first scroll in AS IX