[Artemisia] More scroll discussion

BECKY LEISHMAN leishman10 at msn.com
Thu Nov 19 06:58:17 CST 2009

Her Excellency Duchess Caryn said:

I have lost count of the classes I have taught (and except in rare cases have not charged for.) I know others have done the same.

First of all thank you for your efforts in teaching. I have attended several of your classes and they are terrific (my most favorite was your Versal Letters class).  Not only do we learn a lot at your classes, and have fun doing it, but also have wonderful take aways, including but not limited to....inspiration.  Dame Varia's classes are the same. Thank you.  The rest of it is up to us as individuals to put the lessons into action. Whether there is a fee for the class or not, they are very much worth it.

I also thank you for publishing the excellent document that provides recommendations for materials to use for scroll making. (it's available online folks) I used that list plus information from Dame Varia when I first went to the art supply store to build my 'personal scribe box'.  I will admit that first trip to the art store is financially not for the faint of heart (watch for sales folks), but the list saved me from overspending (buying everything in the store) and for that, I and my husband are grateful. I should also note that one does not need to purchase 'everything' in one trip, You did an excellent job of defining what one 'should' have to start, and what would be 'nice' to add to the box overtime. The only reason it's not for the 'faint of heart' for me is I'm a one trip shopper sort of girl (entire kit plus 'extras' was bought in one trip).

I've tried both the inexpensive paints as well as the more expensive and I agree, there is a definite difference in the outcome. In addition to laying better, the pricier paints also seem to stretch further and last longer (interesting). So who knows, over time, they could end up costing the same.

I've also attended scribal workshops (sweat shops) where many people get together and work on scrolls... if you can't afford to buy the materials yourself, but have interest in working on scrolls...or just need help 'getting started',  this is the place to go. You learn a lot, have a lot of fun, and materials are usually shared amongst many.  For those who put these on, thank you thank you thank you.

Personally, I have not produced a 'lot' of scrolls as others have (time constraints), but the process was enjoyable and educational.

For all you budding scribes, Caryn (and others) are the voice of 'experience' listen and and you will learn a lot.

Bethoc

Who would still cherish her scrolls regardless of materials used, but at the same time definitely appreciates the efforts involved in doing it 'right'.