No subject

Tue Mar 2 08:40:11 CST 2010

"The Topkapi Palace owns four embroidered sashes in the superb zerduz technique that date from the mid-sixteenth century.  These sashes, made of lightweight pale-cinnamon-colored linen, are about 28 centimeters (11 inches wide), their ends embroidered on one side with bands approximately 12.5 centimeters (5 inches) high.  Their lengths vary from 180 to 500 centimeters (71 to 200 inches, or 6 to 17 feet), which indicates that they were wound several times around the waist."

Pics of sashes are provided next to the text.  I think it's kind of odd that they use the dimensions to justify the fact that the sashes were "wound around the waist".  You can look at period pics of people wearing the darned things and see that much.  Also, strange statement about the cinnamon color.  Extant sashes do appear dark compared to the same time frame miniature pics of people wearing them.  Linen that old is bound to discolor somewhat- yes?  I've seen some first hand in a museum and they just look "old" colored to me.  Ottomans did not use waist wear as rank or position indicators during SCA period: they used head-wear, accessories, and expensive gift Kaftans instead.

I'd like to make a new sash that is "un-white" because white-ish sashes are the most commonly found in period and are the easiest to document reliably.  How off-white do I need to make the sash, so as not to appear too knightly?  Is off white or natural linen color too close?  I've experimented using coffee dye and it is still coming out pretty lightly tinted.  If the ends are decorated is that enough to differentiate it from a knight belt, especially if I'm not wearing spurs and chain?

I don't want to put work into something I can't wear, or get thumped over the head by angry knights with large sticks.  Should I just stick with colors and forget anything remotely white-ish?  Knights please advise!

Love,

Lady Esther (who is NOT a knight!)