[Artemisia] Artemisia Digest, Vol 84, Issue 47

Jeanine Schlauch jeanines at cableone.net
Fri Sep 24 22:29:14 CDT 2010

Finally!   Something I can actually contribute - I have this book!!
Maybe I won't starve  <grin>

Morgan

From: artemisia-request at lists.gallowglass.org
<artemisia-request at lists.gallowglass.org>
> Subject: Artemisia Digest, Vol 84, Issue 27
> To: artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org
> Date: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 10:59 PM

Another really good book is  "Housekeeping in Old Virginia"   M.C.
Tyree, First Ed., 1878 - there are 2-3 different recipes for lard -
with 2 recipes you also get cracklins (when dried and salted to taste,
they're also called "chitlins", recipes for plenty of things, weights
and measures, cures for just about everything - (including 'chill
pills') and didja' know that those mushrooms that grow on trees - the
hard, flat ones that grow out sideways?  You can use those to sharpen
your hunting knife.   Antidotes, pharmacology, etc., etc.  Most of the
contributors were ladies of wealth, education and/or position in
Washington, D.C.,  President Hayes' wife, Senator Thurman's wife, etc.
  The list is a long one.

So, besides the 'Anarchist's Cookbook', 'Dr. Science's Big Book',  and
the 'Illuminati Papers, this is definitely another book I'd grab goin'
out the door - I read 'Alas Babylon'  (seems like centuries ago in
another lifetime), what was the guy's name again?  Something Frank,
right?

Dutch