[Artemisia] Regarding Youth Combat in Artemisia

Padruig rayzentz at aim.com
Thu Mar 17 19:01:09 CDT 2011

Greetings unto the noble populace of Artemisia, specifically to parents of youth fighters,

Our summer season is rapidly approaching, so there are some issues that need to be addressed.

It is, and always has been, my intent to make youth combat available to as many children as possible, and to make it enjoyable to as many as possible. However, there are rules and guidelines that must be followed, for both the safety of all participants, and to prevent any legal issues. So, as the summer season approaches, a few guidelines for all parents and guardians, and the participants themselves.

1. It is not the responsibility of the marshals in charge of  youth combat activities to provide gear for any and all children who may wish to fight. While most marshals will have some loaner gear available for participants who do not have their own, this is a courtesy. As a general rule, this loaner gear is intended to be used by children who are new to the SCA, or to youth combat. Children who have experience with the SCA are expected to have their own gear. Parents, this goes right to you. If there is insufficient loaner gear available, and your child doesn't have any of his or her own, or forgot it, it is hardly chivalrous to be angry with the marshal in charge if your child is not allowed to participate.

2. Because of health reasons, children are NOT permitted to share helmets with others at a youth combat activity. Their have been situations where head lice have been spread this way. Other equipment, such as swords and shields, may be shared, especially in a tournament situation. However, if there is a melee planned, and there is insufficient equipment available, children who do not have their own gear may not be able to participate. Make sure that your children have their own gear.

3. Participants in youth combat are minors. Legally, no matter how mature they may seem, they cannot be responsible for themselves. You, as a parent, are responsible to make sure that the child has a valid blue card, or a waiver signed. You are further responsible to make sure that you have met with the marshal in charge of the List, with the waiver, so your child is entered on it. In addition, a parent or guardian is expected to be PRESENT at the eric where youth combat activities are occuring. There are legal and liability reasons for this. If any of these three things are not followed, your child will not be allowed to participate.

4. Equipment will be inspected before combat occurs. If, in the opinion of the marshal doing the inspections, equipment is unsafe, it will be dis-allowed. Guidelines for construction of both youth combat weapons and shields have been published in the Sage, and will be available online shortly. If you want these guidelines immediately, please contact me privately, and I will send copies to you.

5. Finally, there are armor requirements that vary, depending on age group. Every child is required to have a helmet. As stated before, this helmet cannot be shared with another fighter. It needs to fit well, protect the face, and have an effective chin strap. It is best if, at a minimum, every participant in youth combat has his or her own helmet.
Other armor requirements are available on the kingdom website, on the youth pages.

The current rules, available online, are under revision. Until such revision is complete, however, the current rules remain in effect, with the exceptions or additions noted above.  Again, if you cannot obtain these rules, or you have any questions, please contact me directly, and I will happily clarify any problems.

Lord Padruig McTavish
Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal