[Artemisia] Regarding Youth Combat in Artemisia

Sarah Natividad sarah.natividad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 19:44:09 CDT 2011

First, may I offer Lord Padruig many thanks for running the Youth Combat at
Defender's Tourney.  My sons have longed to see Youth Combat return to our
events, and they were not disappointed.

Second, I would like to know if there are websites or guidelines for
modification/decoration of "sports helms".  While I may be able to craft a
tasty meat pie, a helmet is not something I feel competent to make, and used
"sports helms" are available at very little expense.  But they don't look
very "period" and I'd like to be able to add, say, pieces of plastic buckets
to them to make a cosmetic improvement.

Third, I would very much appreciate any instructions or instructional
websites to show me how to create other armor pieces for my boys that will
meet the safety standards.  I have successfully made swords and found
websites for them, but not for armor.  I was able to make a gorget but it
fell apart during combat, and I'd like to improve it.  If anyone is able to
teach me how to make armor pieces, I would gladly participate in making a
tutorial website, as I haven't been able to find anything like that during
my travels around the Web.

My sons love to bring their young friends to events, so my goal for this
summer is to create two sets of loaner gear of my own, so that when they
bring their friends we can arm them as well, rather than be reliant on
borrowing the gear of others. While the hearts of Artemisians are generous
to no end, their pocketbooks do have a bottom. :)

Obrigada,
Lianor

--
Sarah Natividad