[Ek_fiber] Greetings and Thoughts

Robin Howard countessinn at verizon.net
Sat Jun 25 09:30:30 CDT 2005

Hail and well met!

I'm Henna from the Barony of Bergental (Western Mass.).  I and my son are new to the SCA--just joined in April--but not to fiberarts.  I've been spinning for about six years and knitting for a very long time (off and on).  My first A & S entry, at GNE god willing, will be a skein of spindle-spun yarn, intended for a knitted cap, that knits up at 12 stitches per inch.  I dream of (eventually) a handspun, handwoven, hand-dyed wool gown with a handspun, hand-dyed silk embroidery.   That will be a long time in the coming, since though I own two looms, I haven't actually learned to weave yet.

I'm still in the frantic garb-sewing phase, but am enjoying the handsewing finish-work tremendously.  I also embroider and have plans to embark on a blackwork odyssey--after all our garb is done.  Our local Athena's Thimble guild is not very active.  We have a monthly Needleworkers' Guild meeting, but it is nothing so specific.  I've spun at the two meetings I've attended, and there were knitters and embroiderers in attendance as well.  It's sort of a catch-all potluck stitch and bitch sort of group.

One of my immediate goals is to teach myself netting so that I can make a proper, non-crocheted caul/hairnet.  There seem to be some excellent web resources for that.  I have so many interests that I'd be hard-put to accomplish them all in the next decade or two.  I figure, though, that using what I already know as a springboard into other, related areas, and developing depth of knowledge before moving on (rather than attempting to do them all at once, popcorn-style) is definitely the way to go.

I look forward to meeting others in the Kingdom with similar interests, in whatever structure the guild takes.

Henna