[Ek_fiber] Six of four harnesses, was intro from Caid

Jan Ward hawksbluff at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 15:22:32 CDT 2005

I must have have been typing before I had enough
coffee this morning. The blanket was woven on a loom
at the college where I took classes. They had LeClerc
looms, with lots of harnesses. I don't remember
whether that one had 8 or 12 harnesses, probably 8
since it didn't have enough treadles. It was 45" wide,
and the finished blanket was about 80" once it was off
the loom and washed.
My loom at home has only four harnesses. I'm still
trying to figure out whether I could build a drawloom
attachment to go on the back so I can weave really
cool stuff. Probably not, dang it.
I have an 8-harness Mountain loom, which is only 12"
wide, but it does have an attachment to make it a
double back-beam loom, and (theoretically, at least) I
could weave velvet on it. I've had an itch to try that
ever since reading a book on Italian textiles. Cut and
voided velvet! Cloth of Gold! Somebody, talk me out of
it, please!
Edwinna, fiber junkie