[EKStationers] Returned from our library trip

Lyle H. Gray gray at cs.umass.edu
Sat Feb 5 17:31:07 CST 2005

Greetings to the List!

Elwynne and I have just returned from a trip to our local
University's library.  We've been doing a little more research on
the history of the The Stationers' Company of London, first
established as a City Mistery Guild in 1403 and chartered as a
corporation in 1557, and we brought home a few books to look at.
I'll give you a list of the books, and then I'll let you know
what we think of them after we've gone over them.

   Christianson, C. Paul.  _A Directory of London Stationers And
   Book Artisans: 1300-1500_  Bibliographical Society of America,
   1990.

   DeVinne, Theo. L.  _The Invention of Printing_  Gale Research
   Company, 1969.  Originally printed by Francis Hart & Co., 1876

   Blagden, Cyprian.  _The Stationers' Company:  A History,
   1403-1959_  Harvard University Press, 1960.

   Griffiths, Jeremy, & Derek Pearsall, Ed.  _Book Production And
   Publishing In Britain:  1375-1475_  Cambridge University
   Press, 1989

   Blayney, Peter W. M.  _The Stationers' Company before the
   Charter, 1403-1557_  The Worshipful Company of Stationers &
   Newspapermakers, 2003

   Christianson, C. Paul.  _Memorials of the book trade in
   medieval London: the archives of Old London Bridge_ St.
   Edmundsbury Press, 1987

   Friedman, John B.  _Northern English Books, Owners, and Makers
   in the Late Middle Ages_ Syracuse University Press, 1995

   Arber, Edward, ed.  _A Transcript of the Registers of the
   Company of Stationers of London; 1554-1640 AD_ Peter Smith,
   1950.  Originally printed privately, London; 1 January 1875.

And, just because we thought it would be interesting:

   Petroski, Henry.  _The Book on the Bookshelf_  Alfred A.
   Knopf, 1999.  [This is a book about the history of
   bookshelves...]

Regards,
Lyle "17 members so far, but who's counting?" FitzWilliam

--
Lyle H. Gray
gray at cs.umass.edu -- text only, please