[Ekstationers] Beginnings of this List

Lyle H. Gray gray at cs.umass.edu
Sat Feb 5 18:37:09 CST 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Rachael Schechter wrote:

> Livia Petralia, Barony of Bhakail (Philadelphia, PA)

Welcome to the list, Livia.

> I lurk around the heralds, too, but my primary interest is in
> bookbinding. My artistic endeavors tend to be ones that
> primarily involve cutting and pasting.
>
> I have no idea how to evaluate my skill level.  I am still a
> rank beginner, but I have learned many advanced skills.  I
> have been doing some variety of bookwork (repairing and/or
> binding) for almost eleven years, but the learning
> opportunities have been sporadic.

Well, that's one of our goals:  Making the learning opportunities
more frequent and accessible.

> Yesterday, I hosted a meeting of people interested in
> bookbinding.  There were only three people able to show up,
> but we have scheduled another meeting (March 10th) at which I
> plan to teach at least one method of sewing textblocks.

Out of curiosity, what method would that be?  I was teaching a
class on Ethiopian-style (sometimes mistaken for Coptic) binding
up at the Ruantallan EKU in November.

> Thank you so much for putting in the time to start this
> guild.

Thank you for taking the time to promote the book arts in your
barony.

Lyle

--
Lyle H. Gray