[EKStationers] Reminder THURSDAY - Medieval Bookbinding in Bhakail

Rachael Schechter rschecht at pobox.upenn.edu
Wed Oct 19 11:48:55 CDT 2005

There will be two bookbinding meetings in October.

Class: Vade Mecums - compact book form which is eponymously designed to go
with you... often as a portable reference.  This class is based on the one
taught at Pennsic.
When: Thursday, October 20  7-9pm
Where: Meyerson Conference Room
       Van Pelt Library, 2nd floor (right by the elevators)
       University of Pennsylvania
       34th & Walnut, Philadelphia, PA  19104
Materials: included.  If you wish to bring a scrap (1-2 feet) of trim
between one and two inches thick, then we can make the books
ready-to-wear.

Note: If someone can volunteer to bring a spool of ribbon to use for
hanging them from a belt, I don't think I'll be anywhere I can pick one up
between now and the class.

And the room is confirmed - the class is even on the schedule posted by
the door to the room.

Workshop: Scroll portfolios - a few months ago there was discussion on the
heralds list about making folders for scrolls to ease presentation and
shipping - if any scribes/heralds/whoever wish to give me dimensions and
specifics, then we can make a few and see how they come out.
When: Thursday, October 27  7-9pm
Where: Meyerson Conference Room
       (same as above)
Materials: I shall provide bookcloth and thin binders board (lighter-weight
materials were suggested, but the board I have is free).  I still need to
figure out what paper we'll use to line the inside, but I will supply that
as well.  If you have a cutting mat, please bring it, but I will have
alternatives.

**Directions**

By public transit: the site is readily accessible by the 30, 42, and 21
buses; the 11, 13, 34, 36 and any other trolleys that are not the 10.

Parking: there is metered street parking (requiring coins until 8pm) and a
lot at 34th & Chestnut.

Access to the library is open to the public - all you need to do is show a
photo ID and sign in.

 - Livia Petralia
mka Rachael Schechter