[EKStationers] Printing presses

Iheronimus Brückner iheronimus at comcast.net
Tue May 30 22:28:07 CDT 2006

On May 30, 2006, at 8:46 PM, Scotty Marshall wrote:

> Just took a quick plow through the briar press website, and found
> discussion of people building their own presses, but nothing in
> terms of plans themselves..... With that, there is an amazing pile
> of info there.

On building a wooden press:

Elizabeth Harris (another former Smithsonian Curator, I think) wrote
a book on the common press, with a measured scale drawing of the
Isaiah Thomas common press at the American Antiquarian Society in
Worcester MA <http://www.americanantiquarian.org/>.  Distinction: a
"common press" typically uses a toggle to gain mechanical advantage,
Gutenberg's press reputedly used a wooden screw (no contemporary
images of it are known). Earliest representation of a wooden press is
from the 1499 "Dance of Death" woodcut by Matthias Huss of Lyon - it
is a notoriously inaccurate representation of a press mechanism.

Representations of the Gutenberg Press are speculative. The Houston
(TX) Museum of Printing History has a reproduction of what they think
it looked like:

<http://www.uh.edu/engines/gutenbergpressfacsimile.jpg>

See also:
<http://www.mainz.de/gutenberg/english/erfindun.htm>
<http://www.thegutenbergpress.com/Facts.html>

> Good to see. I've found a couple of books in the local university
> library to do with the presses and their evolution, but nothing in
> terms of type casting. Do you know if the good gentle giving the
> talk at Pennsic might be willing to reveal his source documents?

Ask him: His name is Lord Padraig Muadhan (mka Richard Creighton)
<kalligraphos at hotmail.com> I think he may be on this list, but he
also runs the "SCA-Print" mail list. Also refer to Stan Nelson
<http://www.rsnrecreations.com/>, as mentioned in a previous email.
His type casting molds are not cheap, but I'm willing to bet they're
historically accurate.

> In addition to this, do you know of any engravings that depict a
> Printery at work, perhaps with a picture of a press?

Jost Amman's "Book of Trades" (1586), commonly available as a Dover
Paperback, and there is at least one other, which description escapes
me at the moment.

Regards,

M. Iheronimus