[EKStationers] Ekstationers Digest, Vol 36, Issue 3

Heather Gray march.hare at verizon.net
Mon Mar 31 13:43:13 CDT 2008

>Hmmm. The skins and such sound very interesting. I have a local music shop that does repairs and sells a lot of drums. I'll see if I can get some there. What kind of prep work do the skins need?

No prep needed, unless you plan on writing on the cover. We're just using them for the cover, and many of the journal-type books were plain. But others had gilded titles, so it might be necessary to sand and pounce the area where the title would go (16th or 17th c... sorry, not sure where the site is that I saw these on).

>One of the tiny problems I have encountered (as does Donnal) is the accessibility of bookbinding linen. NSCAD, the local art university, does sell some bookbinding supplies, but only sells the linen thread by the meter (about .75 to $1/meter). Donnal has been using the weavers grade of fine linen for making his books because of the cost.

We use weaving linen thread as well.  Tends to be a bit les expensive, and sometimes you can get it in one-ply as well as two.

Have you tried the CBBAG site?  For non-members they have their 2005 list posted here:
http://www.cbbag.ca/ResourceListsWeb/Supplies_Intro.html

Elwynne