[Sca-librarians] OT- Textbook need

Avice of Greylyng Avice at plaiddragon.net
Thu Jan 6 10:02:07 CST 2005

No no, this is a normal price for a textbook in my experience. Especially
in grad school. Although in under-grad I spent more. English and history
softside text books are about $75-80 and novels for the class about $12. My
science text books were usually about $120 new $100 ish used (Bio, chem,
physics). I usually budgeted about $400 for textbooks when I was an
under-grad taking 4 classes and I bought used where ever possible. My first
term in grad school I paid I think about $300 which included a piece of $92
software that we found out three weeks into the course we could have
borrowed free from the library to install but by then the bookstore would
not accept open packages of software, and we'd need the software to
complete some homework (which was later never graded). The textbook buy
back program never really helped either, I best I ever got for a returned
text book was $37 on a book that cost me $120. the used copies cost about
$80 but since it was the major text for that subject there we only a few
used copies to be had because all the people majoring in it kept theirs.

I just paid $70 for one of my texts for another class this term but I just
don't have another $110 to shell out.

</rant>

-Robin

At 12:42 AM 1/6/2005, you wrote:
>On Jan 5, 2005, at 8:28 PM, Avice of Greylyng wrote:
>>I'm in a bit of a financial crush right now and I can't afford this $96
>>textbook for my Information Resources class. Does anyone have a copy
>>lying around they could lend me for term.
>$96 for one textbook???
>
>Wow. I know that it's been over 20 years since I was in college, but are
>textbooks really that expensive these days or is that an unusually high
>price today?
>
>Stefan
>>--------
>THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
>    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
>StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
>**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:  http://www.florilegium.org ****

Lady Avice of Greylyng