[Sca-librarians] SCA and Job Interviews

Sally Burnell sburnell at raex.com
Sun Jan 9 18:46:16 CST 2005

It's been so long since I interviewed for a library job that I can't
remember whether or not I brought SCA into it, but I do seem to recall
during my initial interview back in '83 that I had a really varied
background both academically and interest-wise, and that seemed to pique
their interest in me. My undergrad degree is in Theatre with a minor in
archaeology. I don't have an MLS or MLIS (although it's been my desire to go
back and get one, it's simply become utterly unaffordable in recent years,
so......) but I have trained most of my professional colleagues to do their
jobs.

Anyway, doing stuff like holding offices shows that you have organisational
skills and are capable of meeting deadlines (filing those all-important
quarterly reports), so that's the kind of thing perhaps one ought to bring
up, rather than stuff like "I do illumination" or  "I'm a waterbearer" or
some such thing that wouldn't necessarily apply to job related skills.

~THLady Saradwen Ariandalen
aka Sally Burnell
Public Service Assistant (formerly called "Library Assistant II" before our
job titles got "corporat-ised" after one of those job studies that compared
us to private sector jobs in the corporate world)
Akron-Summit County Public Library
Mobile Services Department, 1983-present