[Sca-librarians] TI Bibliography Format

Galefridus Peregrinus lmend at ccny.cuny.edu
Wed May 23 11:37:10 CDT 2007

I'm resending this.  For some reason I have trouble getting my mail
software to reply to the list -- it replies to the original sender
instead.

It's not bad for a one page summary, but I can almost guarantee that
someone will have to cite something of a type that doesn't appear in the
list (how about an unpublished paper or talk presented at a
conference?).  And while the guidelines state how to set up the
bibliography, they say nothing about how to handle citations in the text
(footnotes, endnotes, or author/year, e.g.).  I very much prefer the use
of an established format like Chicago, Turabian, MLA, or APA styles, all
of which are relatively accessible and can be found in some detail in
various locations on the Internet.

I will add that Solveig's comments on expecting the corporate offices to
keep track of authors are right on the money.  Authors should give
current, accurate contact information that may eventually expire, just
like the author contact information included with formal scholarly
papers.  I write and publish scholarly papers with some regularity, and
have served on more than one occasion as a guest editor for a major
journal, and can say with some authority that it's easiest all around to
work with a clear, detailed, and explicit format/style.

-- Galefridus Peregrinus