[Sca-librarians] Invite to write for TI was TI Format

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed May 23 23:10:52 CDT 2007

Loren D Mendelsohn wrote:
> snipped  As such, the prospect of publishing in CA is perhaps more
> daunting than publishing in TI.
>
> -- Galefridus Perigrinus
Speaking of publishing in Tournaments Illuminated, I was asked by the
editor to
pass along the invitation to members of the Sca-Librarians list to write
short
articles for the upcoming issue of TI.  Johnna

She wrote:

I need small articles, a long paragraph really, up to 250 words on any
topic appropriate under the Editorial Policy. I would think that this
would be a 15- or 30-minute exercise for most scholars in the Society,
but I am woefully short on these submissions. Truthfully, I don't have
any. I have one receipt/recipe to follow one article only because I
personally asked the gentleman who redacted the recipe.

The following is taken from a website
(http://www.chicagocoinclub.org/projects/PiN/juh.html), but it does give
an example of what I am looking for (226 words, shares a bit of
knowledge, and rounds out the publication):

"Jetons or counters were used as calculation instruments in Europe in
the middle ages. According to medieval taste, they were always
decorated. These decorations always had a purpose, sometimes religious,
but usually related to the user or the principal. In the 16th century,
jetons were mostly used to propagate political messages and to glorify
the deeds of the ruler. There was such a great need to make propaganda
through jetons that they continued to be struck long after jetons ceased
to be used as counters. In France and in the Netherlands this new image
of the jeton began about the end of the 16th century. The jeton became a
small commemorative medal only suitable as a collectors item. The
development in Germany was slightly different. In the course of the 17th
century the counters became smaller and smaller, for little by little
they were only used as chips for card-playing. Real jetons are metallic
thin flat discs and are struck like coins. The differences from coins
are: the metal is generally copper or brass and seldom silver. Gold
jetons are very rare. The measure is always between ca. 20 mm and ca. 28
mm. Smaller or larger pieces cannot be used as reckoning counters. The
relief is always low for easy pushing and making piles. Jetons are not
coins, so they never have an indication of value."
  snipped I may be in desperate need of this type of article or I may
not have space for even one in this issue: I won't know until he is
further along. If there are members interested in writing a short
article for this issue (potentially), I would need it by this Sunday
(May 27), as well as confirmation that the Release Form is being mailed.
If they would be interested in writing for a future issue, the next
deadline is August 7.

Two of you (and you know who you are!) on the SCA Librarians list are
excused with my grateful thanks for already submitting an article!

Thanks!
Doria